January 16, 2012

Thirumalai Nayakar Mahal - 1


Hi Guys,
Two years back, during one of my posts, I had written that despite being in Madurai since my childhood days, I have never visited Thirumalai Nayakar Palace which is in one of the few palaces remaining in south India and also one of the very few tourist attractions of the city.

Last week, I had a chance to visit the palace along with few of my friends. The palace was a beautiful place with big pillars and superb architecture. I thought of posting the photos in a single attempt, but then looking at the number of photos, I have decided to present it in a series of posts.

The palace was built by King Thirumalai Nayak and the palace has been named after him. He ruled the city from 1623-1659 and the palace has been erected approximately by 1639. The architecture is a mixture of Dravidian and Islamic style. The actual palace is said to be four times larger than what it is today.

Here I will be presenting a few photographs and in the upcoming posts, I will be concentrating on a particular category of photographs.

Entrance of the Palace

Whole View of the Courtyard

The gigantic Pillars in the palace

Beautiful dooms in between the pillars

Inside the Nadana vilasam (Dancing Hall)

A view of the rear side of the palace
 Happy Viewing!!!

4 comments:

  1. Wow ! I did not even know about this palace and a visit to Madurai is always to the temple. Next time I will definitely visit this palace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome pictures , somehow we missed this place last times we visited Madurai .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simply wonderful Pictures Karthick.
    I am amazed how this Palace is still in nice health.
    Really nice : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful pictures. The palace is one of the most beautiful palaces in India.As far as I know,the palace is a classic fusion of Dravidian and Rajput styles. Thirumalai Nayakar mahal is an amazing tourist spot. Performance of Light & Sound is held every evening which entertains the visitors.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and spending time with my blog! Hope you had a nice time in my blog!

Please let your comments here. Your comments add fuel to my writings.